Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

The Hidden Village Leaf

My drawing journey is exactly that - a journey.

It started many years ago with frustrating attempts to draw, most which ended up in the garbage bin, "ended" might be too gentle a word. A more accurate description should include the endless frustration, and silent despair that accompanied the act. I wanted so badly to draw, and each attempt proved that I can't. And added a supporting vote to the little voice that added "and you never will".

Recent months show differently (with evidence that is captured in this blog). It's finally becoming a learning process, where I can see progress and can appreciate what is coming from under my pen and pencil. Not an easy journey it is, and it still has ups and downs...

So this week's challenge was to use a falling leaf (or leaves). Autumn here doesn't usually dress in warm colors, so I used a leaf I found on the net.
Started drawing, several lines - didn't go well at all. I gave it a second look, discarded it completely in my mind as a waste, and shoved it (frustrate-fully and despair-fully) under a pile of paper I had in the room.

And then I just sat in my chair.
I was amazed with the feeling that I experienced. It felt exactly like "the old times". Same frustration, same despair, even the same old voice that said "aha, I told you you can't draw. You are wasting your time".
But there was one difference. This time I was aware. I also knew I can draw, and an impressive collection of drawings held a solid proof of that.
So I listened. And acknowledged the old feeling. And just waited.

After couple minutes I pulled the paper from under pile. Fixed the lines that went astray, and continued my drawing journey.

Here it is, proudly presented to you, and to myself

14 comments:

  1. Yea! Omer! You can draw and I am so glad that you persisted! Beautiful leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must listen to that voice that tells you you can draw! In my youth, I felt so much like I couldn't draw that I didn't even try. I wish I had had someone to encourage me, like this group. Now I have been an art teacher. At least you tried and honed your skills. I really feel that art is a journey, as you say. Nicely drawn maple leaf and nicely tangled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you. I'm always my toughest critic, but if given time and perspective, good things will come. I love the dimension on the right side of your leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work, Omer. Your tangles are awesome. I really like the Village on the left side of your leaf. Wonderful shading. I always look forward to your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! You did exactly what you needed to do. It is hard to quiet those old tapes that run in our heads. I can strongly identify with your comments about wanting to draw. One of the things that I really liked about Zentangle® was that I did not have to and I could still come up with something artistic. The other thing it did is to free me up a little to try a few more things. As they say at Zentangle, it is all about the process. I have learned to never evaluate until I am completely done. Before then I have all kind of options, and even then I can still make choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous leaf! Wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Omer, I'm so glad that you did use the one you first got rid of. The result is so very beautiful!!! I'm so glad that you are able to be proud of yourself. And .... about not being able to draw???? I've been sure of that for myself for about 60 years. We'll never stop being grateful to Zentangle Rick & Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing post (and a great lesson for us all) and your leaf is spectacular. Your shading gives wonderful dimension and your designs are yours, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Omer, I must say I can't start to imagine what you didn't like in the beginning of your leaf, but you certainly ended up great. I too, love that little village in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can definitely draw and I like your tile very much. A beautiful pattern selection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your finished leaf and I am so glad you told those thoughts who's the boss. Having been an art teacher, I can tell you my greatest joy was when we would get a new student in class who would say "I can't draw", the rest of my students would smile and say, "Yes you can. Everybody can draw!" Things we draw may not look just like the original, but that's what cameras are for. We draw from our hearts. Listen to your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart, letting that old feeling be what it was and experiencing it, then letting it go and telling yourself the truth. It is a journey, and being in it is so important. You're doing great! and your leaf is really terrific. AIt has so much worth looking at. I want to spend some time with it, take it all in

    ReplyDelete
  13. The patterns you chose play well together, I looked at it for minutes to see all the details. Well done.

    ReplyDelete