Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Stairways to everywhere

This week's challenge features the "X-did" pattern by Annette Carlo.
So first and foremost - respect !

This was first week of school, and Jr. is starting his fresh year in high school, so not a dull moment. Drawing took second priority, and rightly so. But alas, life goes on, and the drawing must go on

It was not an easy task to master X-did. It proved to be a wild mustang, running freely to unexpected directions, throwing me off its back time after time. At the end (and what I mean here is around 20 sketches of all kinds) I decided to keep it simple. I drew the main shape, and voila - we have take off.
A side note about scanning which can hopefully help someone out there. I have a reasonable scanner which is faithfully scanning for me all types of bills and papers. However (!), scanning drawings is not its forte. So after trying different settings and stuff, I switched to my SLR, and the results are much much better. NEed to find the right spot with the right light of course

7 comments:

  1. This is so wonderfully done with the simplicity and yet so interesting. I really like the staircase and you certainly have done Annette's tangle justice. She will LOVE this one! I don't know what a SLR is, but the tangle scanned nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean :)

      SLR (or actually, I should have written dSLR) stands for "(digital) Single Lens Reflex", which is the more professional cameras, as opposed to the point-n-shoot cameras...

      Delete
  2. Your persistence was rewarded with a wonderful Tile, Omer. I love the weaving of the extension arms within X-did. Brilliant design decision. Love how your support tangles enhance the design. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Omer. Exciting times when kids hit high school isn't it!! 😄 I really like how you used the tile as the string. That never crossed my mind. You've got a fun art deco vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely version of X-did. I like the stark simplicity of the diamonds with the border around them. Your choice of other tangles nicely complements X-Did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omer, congrats on taming the wild mustang!!! Your 'X-DID' is gorgeous!!! Thank you for giving it a try! And i wish I could help with the scanning thingy, but I take pictures of my tiles and load them that way. (I hate to say, but I don't know how to use a scanner,,...yeeks) And good luck to you with getting back into the school routine. My kids started back at the end of July!!! Time goes too fast! Have a great week. :0) Annette Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this tile, Omer! It's so nice and clean; very well done.

    ReplyDelete