Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Crystallization

I'm starting to see a pattern (pun intended?) in my responses to the weekly challenge.
It starts with learning. Usually, I'm not familiar with the patterns and tangles, so I read about it. I learn the basic technique, and draw it
I then go to exploration. The main quality here is opening, or widening. The word that best describes it is playfulness. I explore different angles, different possibilities. In this phase I can fill one page or a dozen pages. I can get stuck, I can get frustrated. I give up, and then retry. By now, I know that this is an invitation for the creativity to come out.
The final phase is choice.  Now that there are many options, one (or some) attract my attention. Is it always the last one I draw? I can't tell. Maybe. The quality here is of narrowing, of choosing.

This week's challenge was of course no different :)
A new pattern which required learning. Pages all over my desk with variations. Some look great, some not. Some completely unrelated to the challenge, but when inspiration comes I try to always give it a space to act.
I had some ideas, and did some attempts. The final drawing started with a variation (straight lines Betweed), and then the flow took over and things appeared by themselves. By now, I had a full bag of variations at my disposal, so it was easy to add to the drawing.

I like the end result, and am very frustrated with the scanning quality. It looks so much better in reality. Will try to do a better scan tomorrow.


And here are some drawings that were created along the way


8 comments:

  1. Love your Post, Omer. I very much like your synopsis of your creative process in learning a new pattern, and creating a challenge tile. Well done. Your Betweed Tile is outstanding. Love the solid blacks, and your dynamic design is beautiful. Also love your preliminary sketches. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful tile, Omer. I love the composition and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with David here. Your post has greatly helped me see what I'm probably doing wrong. I'll try out your way with the next challenge. Your tile does indeed stand out! It"s strong and deliberate and the pattern is so intricate one really needs to concentrate to see where one betweed begins and the other ends. At first I hardly saw betweed at all. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant way of using Betweed! Very creative! I like it. Great sketches, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with your process, Omer. I know I filled half a book with Mooka before I could feel it flow from my pen. Muscle memory is required for a tangle to become "ours" to use, or it can be an awkward indeed. Fun little drawings along the way to a spectacular finished tile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omer, Your finished tile is great! Love the strong contrast you were able to get and It was great to hear about your process and see some of the sketches on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fantastic. You're brave to show your sketches. I love all the variations.

    ReplyDelete