Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ebony and Ivory

(being the first post in this shiny brand new blog, a bit of background is due ...)

Drawing: the latest frontier. These are the voyages of Omer. His life-long mission: to explore strange new creativity worlds, to seek out new expression forms and new inspirations, to boldly go where he has never gone before ...

Ah, drawing. If I had a penny for every paper I threw to the trash, and another penny for the frustration I experienced. So many times I tried. And so many times I miserably failed.

several weeks ago, I somehow stumbled upon pinterest.com, and there I accidentally saw something that caught my attention. It was black and white (which I love), minimalistic (love), beautiful (love love love). It looked like a combination of doodling and Escher, with patterns and flows. Striking beauty. Essence. 3D. Wow !!! I was in awe.

Long story short - I grabbed a pencil and tried it myself. And lo and behold, under my pencil emerged a drawing. I almost couldn't believe my eyes.
Maybe I got lucky? Tried another one - another success.

This started an amazing journey. I found myself using pinterest and youtube and blogs, discovering the doodling art, Zentangle, sketching, patterns, shading. I experienced an accelerated learning curve. Shortly after I grabbed a set of Copic ink liners and from there the pile of papers and drawings on my desk keeps growing :)

Viewing other people's art, and especially tutorials and videos, is my main learning method.
As these are my baby steps, I need to practice and gain this magical hand precision. I need to learn the basics - how to use a pencil, a pen. How to draw shapes. "From the beginning".

I started following the Diva's weekly challenge, and decided that I'm going to actively participate. Not a simple decision I can assure you, as many of the regular participants are nothing short of amazing artists.

This week is challenge #167 - making a drawing out of two distinct patterns.
I discovered that both patterns are outside my comfort zone, and it took me some serious trial and error until I started getting something out of my attempts.

Here is the drawing I submitted :



And here are couple more drawings, all created as part of exploring the "Punzel" pattern






15 comments:

  1. Welcome to this addiction :) your work is quite appealing, these pieces are very creative and beautifully drawn. I look forward to seeing more of your art. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lila :) I hope to never stop creating.
      And regarding addiction - I think I understand what you mean. :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome also to a fantastic community!
    Though your vased and exploding punzesl are neat, I particularly like your wrapped punzel. Well done from me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sal. It indeed feels like a community, and this is great !

      Delete
  3. Welcome! You have a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never realized I'm doing Klingon art :)
    The "metal work" is very accurate. I was looking to find the volume inside the pattern, and am on my journey to organic, but not there yet ... one baby step at a time

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tangles are both on the more complicated side and you did an amazing job for a beginner. Actually, you did an amazing job if you had been tangling for years! Welcome to our great community of tanglers (and enablers, if you know what I mean LOL), and I hope to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warm welcome. I feel at home already :)
      Yes, I think I understand what you mean with "enablers". I share this feeling.

      Delete
  6. Omer, Congratulations on getting your blog up and running!!! My story in finding Zentangle and drawing, are very similar to yours (Thank you Pinteres)t!! Looking at the work you have already accomplished, you are so on your way to mastery!!! Welcome to the Tangled community, in search for Zen!!! Awesome work on your Punzel!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.
      drawing journey = Zen journey

      Delete
  7. A new blog, a new beginning! Congratulations with it.
    Your entry for this week's challenge is stunning!!!! I love the design too.
    Welcome to this community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. A new beginning indeed :)

      Delete
  8. this is my first time drawing the Diva's weekly challenge. I will definitely be back for more. you did a terrific job. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome as a participant to the challenge. It is a great way to learn things as many of the participants have tutorials on their blogs. Would also recommend zentangle.com and trying to find a CZT close to you to take a few classes. It is very much about the process and the art created is a plus. You did very well with this. Like the shading and highlighting.

    ReplyDelete